Greetings all,

I've been reading this group for some time and appreciate everyones
work.  For the most part I have followed the discussions of the past but
would now like to throw in my 2 cents.

Kevin and many others against mandating (MUST) for IPSec have a valid
point.  Many sensors and other potential IPv6 nodes do not have the
hardware resources to support IPSec, or those resources are better spent
at other tasks.  This may fall under #4 in Dow Street's driving
objection to RFC 4294 wording of MUST, but not necessarily.  With the
simplicity of securing IP at the edge router with an IPSec tunnel, the
point of mandating IPSec for nodes appears unwarranted.  I agree with
Kevin that IPSec be SHOULD for hosts (but remain a MUST for routers).
My argument is similar to #5 made by James Carlson.

There are many situations were IPv6 will be deployed without IPSec.
There is no need to label these devices as non-IPv6 compliant within
this hosts requirements document.  My gut feeling is that if IPSec MUST
be supported then why is using it optional?  A MUST that is optional
wouldn't be the first in IETF history but let it be known that some
objected.

Some years ago I thought static keyed IPSec to be better than no
security.  In reality IPSec can be compromised with enough traffic
analysis, especially if portions of the clear text can be discerned
(ICMPv6, etc).  Operational security depends on key changing and thus
key management.  Over time, static keyed IPSec is either masochistic to
manage or provides only the illusion of security.  Thus I also agree
with Thomas, Ed and others that mandating static IPSec without key
management will result in it's non use and now we're back to a MUST that
is optional to deploy.

In conclusion I believe RFC 4294 be changed to SHOULD for IPSec because
of #3, #4 and #5 of the poll.

BR,

**Sean Lawless** * | * /*Senior Software Engineer*/ * | * *Blunk
Microsystems LLC* <http://www.blunkmicro.com> * | 408.XXX.XXXX*