Hi all,

I’m contacting you as I’ve a question regarding the Hop-by-Hop header option
‘Router Alert’ and its exact use. I hope I don't disturb you...

Currently I’m playing with some new ideas regarding mobile IP. These ideas
include new messages and so on.
The new messages are included within IPv6 packages and send toward a certain
destination. While sending these messages toward the final destination it is
necessary for them to be examined by routers on the paths. Hence, the
Hop-by-Hop header with the ‘Router Alert’ option SHOULD be used indicating that
the contents of the datagram may be interesting to the router. To give the
router a hint about the datagram contents the router alert’s value field SHOULD
be used therefore and inform the router about the contents of the payload or
about the following IPv6 header, e. g. ICMPv6 message.

First question:

Would it be okay to use the router alert option and its value field to indicate
the router that it should not only process the hop-by-hop header before
forwarding the message to the next hop,  but also to process the next header
within the IPv6 packet, e.g. a ICMPv6 message?

Second question:

What will happen if a router doesn’t recognize the value in the router alert’s
value field? Will it continue parsing the datagram and then forward the packet
to the next hop (two MSB in the Hop-by-Hop option type field set to ‘00’), or
will it immediately stop parsing and forward the received IPv6 packet to the
next hop (two MSB in the Hop-by-Hop option type field set to ‘00’)?

I hope you can provide me with some information. Nevertheless I want to thank
you in advance!

Best regards

Bernd

--
Super-Aktion nur in der GMX Spieleflat: 10 Tage für 1 Euro.
Über 180 Spiele downloaden und spiele: http://flat.games.gmx.de