Agreed, but that is not what we are talking about :).

>And, consequently, the ability to ask for and receive something other than
>single /64, is limited by the availability of ISPs in the local pool who
>offer it.
>It doesn't much matter whether
>the assignment of a /64 is dynamic or static - either way it bites.
>
>There is no guarantee that even a *single* ISP in any particular pool of
>local ISPs, has enough clue to offer this, or the ability to offer it
>(regardless of reason underlying the inability).
>
>This isn't something I, as a customer, have *direct* control over, and I
may
>not have an alternative (other ISP offering what I want).
>
>And it doesn't matter *why*.

I guess I just fail to see why
        1) the provider isn't giving you more ... they *really* should ...
try to get them clued in
        2) something like "Proxy w/ ULAs behind it" fails this scenario.
                ... it is almost directly analogous to the current IPv4+NAT
situation that you would in.

Failing those, you are free to break the /64 boundary if you really must -
routers will still route, etc.
        ... you are just signing up for pain - manual configuration, etc.
                ... "sub-optimal", to say the least.

>In such a situation, I am effectively "painted into a corner" (e.g. when
>viewing IPv6 space as a Heat Map / Hilbert curve).
>
>"Bits to the left of me, Bits to the right, Here I am - Stuck in the middle
>again".
>(Apologies to the original artist and those who don't like puns.)
>
>The question is, what does one do in such a scenario, and/or what *can* one
>do?

See above :).

>If the ability to do what one wants, is permitted by non-64 bit prefixes,
>life is good.
>DHCPv6, or more flexible versions of SLAAC, CGA, etc., are needed for this.

For some values of "good", perhaps.