And I understand clients having needs, as well.
First, I would encourage the client to try and get (as feasible) a large
block ... add bits to the left instead of the right.
        (I realize that if this was feasible, we might not be having this
conversation now ... but had to say it regardless)
Secondly, I would ask if other options been pursued ... if you can share

Your client's need is why I referenced the (expired) draft -->
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dickson-v6man-new-autoconf-00
        ... there may be more appropriate drafts out there, this is just the
first probably-relevant one I found ...
-If- there is consensus that this need is prevalent, make a standard and see
-if- you can get vendor buy-in.
        I personally think those are two very big "ifs", but I have
certainly been wrong atleast once or thrice in the past :).
        Again, these conversations all took place 10-15 years ago and all of
those needs, decisions, etc. fed into the current standard.
                ... not saying things can't change, obviously(!), but unless
new reasons have arisen I remain skeptical.

"As to vendor pain, going down the road of minimizing vendor pain leads us
back to every vendor selling a proprietary networking protocol"
I think the opposite is true ... isn't that part of the standardization
process; to reduce those proprietary situations and providing a consistent,
level playing field?  Everything over IP is the path of least resistance
today for a good reason.  The operational pain comes into play in that once
something longer is standardized, it will likely be used by providers and
thus limit future client capabilities based on current client needs -
something IPv6 is expressly trying to avoid.

FWIW, I would be quite distraught if my ISP tried to give me only 16 host
bits / 64k worth of addresses.
Anything less than 64 host bits now, or even 48 host bits as one draft has
proposed, breaks autoconf.
        That is bad right out of the shoot.

Oh, and yes - I said only 64k IPs.
I know of lots of ongoing development in "dense node" applications, and I
want myself and my clients to be ready to take advantage of those in the not
too distant future.  Which is (just) part of the justification for the
64bits in the first place; but I am not saying these desires outweigh your
client's current need.

... great conversation so far, now I am back to work ...
/TJ