On 13 okt 2008, at 18:12, Alain Durand wrote:

IPv6 is IPv4 with longer addresses. Why would we want to make life more
complex with more choices wrt starting DHCPv6?

That ship sailed when DCHPv6 was invented even though IPv6 works fine without it.

I vote for 1.

This is the IETF; you don't get a vote.

I don't have any use for DHCPv6. I need a way to shut up DHCPv6 clients that may end up visiting my network. Running DHCPv6 in a network that doesn't support is is especially harmful because there will be lots of retransmissions, which are multicasts that use up a lot of airtime on wifi networks.

So sending DHCPv6 requests with MO = 00 by default is not acceptable.