On 13 okt 2008, at 17:40, Thomas Narten wrote:

OK, I'm going to wade back into this and say that I believe we've
botched things. Let's take a typical client implementor, who looks at,
say, RFCs 4861, 4862 and/or RFC 3315 (the DHCPv6 spec).

Question: just when are they supposed to invoke DHCPv6? All the time?
Only if the M or O bits are set? This simply isn't clearly
defined. This is broken and teh IETF really needs to make a
recommendation.

Seems to me that this is simple enough: no bits, no DHCP. "Always" is not an acceptable out of the box behavior. (!!!)

Then if there is M you do stateful DHCPv6, if there is O stateless. The only problem would be if bot O and M are set.