Hi,

On Oct 15, 2008, at 4:30 PM, Bob Hinden wrote:
The IPv6 auto-configuration was modeled after IPX (based on XNS) auto-configuration. IPX was very successful at the time and it's auto-configuration mechanisms were considered an improvement over IPv4. At the time considered better for enterprises than IPv4. The IPv6 auto-configuration was based on a protocol that was very widely deployed.

Since we're talking about history, one of the things I've always been a bit confused about is how stateless auto-config is supposed to work with Internet naming (as opposed to Appletalk (and I presume XNS) local naming). In a world without DHCP and zero knowledge clients, how were names supposed to be associated with nodes?

Thanks,
-drc