On 2009-07-04 10:52, Rémi Després wrote:

>>> take
>
> First to be noted: this discussion is only about 64 bit-IIDs on IPv6 links.
> It needs not to interfere with that on IPv6 addresses whose lower bits
> are never used as IIDs on IPv6 links.

If you read the text in RFC 4291 (and its predecessors), it is clearly
intended to be broader than that:

>>    The use of the universal/local bit in the Modified EUI-64 format
>>    identifier is to allow development of future technology that can take
>>    advantage of interface identifiers with universal scope.

That isn't restricted to the notion of a link as such; or if you prefer,
it also applies to virtual links, and SIIT synthesizes a virtual link
under its PREFIX.

This matters if any variant of the routing architecture is adopted
which resembles 8+8 and its descendants. IIDs need to be globally
unique then, so tramping on the g bit would be a problem. So in fact,
although the authority is 6man, the debate would need to be wider.

Note, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you; but this is a very
big architectural decision. To make rapid progress here, we may
prefer to skip over the u and g bits, even though it's a bit ugly.

   Brian