Iljitsch van Beijnum escribió:
On 8 jul 2009, at 9:42, marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:

for example, suppose you want to run shim6 on the nat64 box, how would you do it if you cannot use the lower 64 bits to store crypto info?

So then you would have one NAT64 with two Prefix64s, where the CGA proves that Prefix64a and Prefix64b belong to the same box? I guess you could do that. But the assumption with Shim6 is that you have two ISPs that give you two address ranges. That would only apply if the NAT64 user and the NAT64 are in different networks, and at least the NAT64 is multihomed. So:

                   ISP2
                 /      \
v6client --- ISP1         NAT64
                 \      /
                   ISP3

In my opinion, that would be an extremely unusual case: in networks large enough to have some IPv4 addresss space, the NAT64 would be done locally. In smaller networks, the ISP would probably do it. Getting NAT64 service from a random place somewhere is not impossible, but not exactly an obvious solution. Especially because the NAT64 service provider would need a mechanism to authenticate its users.

I agree this case at this point seems far away, but i am not sure i understand the timeframe where nat64 will be around and how pervasive they will be. I was just pointing a case with currently defined technologies that this would impose a limitation. the goal was just to put an example that it is possible to find

OTOH, as i said earlier, this can be addressed by using a Pref64 shorter than 32 bits, so we can embed the IPv4 addres in the prefix part.

Regards, marcelo

We can go out of our way to find strange use cases and build in support for them, but wasn't the idea that we need to get NAT64 in the grubby hands of actual users within a reasonable timeframe?