<greg.ra...@ins.com> writes:

> Thomas,

> >   raises an intersting point. This document (and RFC 4294) mandate
> >   (MUST) that hosts implement stateless autoconfiguration. This
> >   despite that this document is only informational, and no where in
> >   standards track RFCs is stateless autoconf mandated. This takes us

> How about RFC 2462?  Standards Track - IPv6 Stateless Address
>  Autoconfiguration.

My point is that nowhere in 2462 (or any other standards track RFC) is
it mandated that a host MUST implement 2462. 2462 (like most IETF
standards) is completely optional to implement. The Node Requirements
RFC arguably does not have authority to make 2462 mandatory to
implement. At least, not while it is an informational document and
says:

> 2.  Introduction
>
>    The goal of this document is to define the common functionality
>    required from both IPv6 hosts and routers.  Many IPv6 nodes will
>    implement optional or additional features, but this document
>    summarizes requirements from other published Standards Track
>    documents in one place.

How's this to drive the point home further... 2461 (Neighbor
Discovery) is NOT mandated. It is only listed as a SHOULD. (This is
because some link layers might not need all parts of ND. But this has
turned out to be bizarre because the important LLs do require ND, so
it effectively is a requirement.)

Of course, 2462 is widely implemented, and I'd strongly recommend that
devices should implement it (though I can think of some
exceptions). But we do have a fundmanental question about whether the
IPv6 Node Requirements document can make new requirements that are not
already in place in existing standards track documents.

Thomas