Thomas,

Firstly, thanks for taking this on!

Of course, 2462 is widely implemented, and I'd strongly recommend that
devices should implement it (though I can think of some
exceptions). But we do have a fundmanental question about whether the
IPv6 Node Requirements document can make new requirements that are not
already in place in existing standards track documents.

I think it is useful for IPv6 Node Requirements define what we expect an IPv6 node to do. This is generally useful for the community and I think it was one of the reasons to write the document in the first place.

Regarding the status of the document, perhaps we should first decide what we want the document to do, such as saying that 2462 SHOULD be implemented, and make new requirements for nodes for things that have been developed since the original IPv6 node requirements was written (e.g., the extensions to RA flags). Then we can decide what status the document should have. If it needs to be standards track, we will have justification for doing that. That is, let's keep our focus on what we expect to be in most IPv6 nodes.

Bob