"UDP Checksum: this field MUST be transmitted as 0 and ignored on receipt by the ETR. Note, even when the UDP checksum is transmitted as 0 an intervening NAT device can recalculate the checksum and rewrite the UDP checksum field to non-zero. For performance reasons, the ETR MUST ignore the checksum and MUST not do a checksum computation."

I would expect a NAT that saw a zero value to not recalculate the checksum.

I agree that the unilateral change to the UDP protocol built into RFC 2460 was a bad idea; if you want to change UDP, change UDP. That is probably water under the bridge now.

I think that I would word this as:

UDP Checksum: this field MAY be transmitted as zero, and the receiver MAY ignore the checksum on receipt.

As to the performance issues, that is an implementation question. You can do a full packet checksum at 100 GBPS if you want to, it just has a cost implication (very different hardware than the usual store-and- forward design). The datagram will likely have to be handled in a flow- through manner and the checksum read from a register upon completion.

The argument in favor of this is, I think, that the interior packet has checksums on it, so this one is not called for, by the end-to-end principle.