Any node (host or router) that configures a tunnel endpoint
is the source of packets that it originates from its tunnel
interface. As such, it may perform host-based fragmentation,
receive ICMP errors, etc. in a way that is typically associated
with a host.

Whether you view it as a router with an embedded host function
or a host with an embedded gateway function is dependent on
specific use cases and/or one's point of view.

Fred
fred.l.temp...@boeing.com