In the discussion of IPv6 address selection , Dave Thaler asked me to comment on this bullet from slide 10:

* DHCP option
  - Hard to kick policy reconfigure by a server.

Not wanting to contribute to yet another iteration of the RA-vs-DHCP debate, I'm responding through the mailing list. DHCPv6 has an explicit mechanism, required by RFC 3315, in which a server can asynchronously trigger a DHCPv6 message exchange from the client.

Suresh commented that the router might be a better source of updates in some circumstances, when the selection policy is modified by changes in the routing infrastructure as propagated by routing protocols. I haven't thought about that scenario and can't comment...

- Ralph