IPv4-Mapped
> > IPv6 Address with IPv4-translatable IPv6 address and IPv4-converted IPv6
> > address respectively).
>
> Any revision of the IPv6 addressing rules in 6MAN is going to take a long
time.
> Maybe several years. I would rather not wait that long before we publish
the
> addressing format document. Beside, complying with the rule is not that
hard.
> So why bother?

I wonder whether one could use that octet (bit 64 to 71) of IPv4-embeded
IPv6 address for identifying different types of IPv4-embeded IPv6 address
than just using it to obey a constraint whose future usage is still
uncertain. That is to say, the IPv4-embeded IPv6 addresses can be identified
by some bits (e.g. the binary value of bit 64 to 66 is a specific value,
which is not conflicted with any used OUIs). Furthermore, different types
can also be distinguished by the remaining bits for that octet (e.g., bit 67
to 71).

At least the former usage has some certain applications. For example, in
case of NAT64, if a dual-stack host could distinguish synthesized IPv6
addresses from native IPv6 addresses, it will not prefer a synthesized IPv6
address to an IPv4 address for initiating a communication with an IPv4 host.
Another usage is to avoid routing loops when using ISATAP and 6to4 (for more
details, please see
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/09nov/slides/v6ops-2.ppt).

Xiaohu