> > Consider a scenario where dual-stack hosts coexist with IPv6 only hosts
> > (IPv6 only stack or dual-stack with only IPv6 address), should they be
> > configured with different DNS servers?
> yes, that's how they should be configured. Please note that this does
> not require two dns servers, you can run them in the same box as two
> separate process, and use two different ip addresses. That would be the
> best configuration (especially cause it would work with legacy nodes,
> either dual stack or v6 only). (please note that other mechanisms
> recognizing some bits, either the prefix or some bits in the iid would
> require updating the node, and that is why this method is superior)

Can the DNS server be automatically configured according to whether the
client is dual-stack or not?  If not, I don't think this is the best choice.

> > That is to say, should dual-stack
> > hosts be configured with a normal DNS server, while IPv6 only hosts
> > configured with a DNS64 capable server?
> >
> > Or do you believe the above scenario itself is rare?
> >

> >> Second, you don't solve this problem by adding some bits in the middle
> >> for recognizing the synthetic addresses. The point is that i am making
> >> is that having them in the rpefix or in the iid achieve the same
> >> capability (and have the same limitations)
> >>

> > There seems no bit in a NSP to tell whether an IPv6 address is a
synthetic
> > address or not in the current address-format draft.
>
> the NSP itself is what needs to be learned by the hosts that want to
> recognize a synthetic address!
>
> I mean, in particular with the rfc3484 poilicy table, you need to
> configure the NSP in the policy table, so that native connectivity is
> preferred.

If I understood it correctly, the basic precondition of this approach is the
NSP is known to the hosts in IPv6 realm. Hence, I wonder whether this
approach is still suitable for the IPv6 Internet to an IPv4 network scenario
where NSPs used by different IPv4 sites are much various.

> the main difference between this iand having a fix set of bits is that
> these need to be learnt by the hosts in order to recognize the NSP. Note
> that there is ongoing work to dynamically configure the rfc3484 policy
> table, which would deal with this issue. Another option is to use the
> WKP which can be hardcoded.
> >  On the contrary, we
> > could use some bits in the IID to achieve that goal.
> >
> > Another possible way is as follows: the NSP used for synthesizing IPv6
> > address should be a specific prefix, e.g. starting with the binary value
> > 00010101.
> we have that, and that is the WKP

There are three choice for the WKP in the address-format draft:
   o  reuse the IPv4-mapped prefix, ::FFFF:0:0/96, as specified in RFC
      2765 Section 2.1;
   o  request IANA to allocate a /32 prefix,
   o  or request allocation of a new /96 prefix.

Could you tell me which one is equivalent to the specific NSP I mentioned,
which starts with a special binary value?

Best wishes,
Xiaohu