Hi Brian,

Brian E Carpenter wrote:
[...]

- Provide a reference to the currently defined WKPs
- In the section that talks about ports, please make sure that for URIs
everyone MUST follow RFC 3986, and for the rest, the default can be
again RFC 3986. The current language leaves everything open, even for URIs.
We have to phrase this rather carefully. There is valid normative ABNF
for the RFC 4291 representation in RFC 3986, but it does not generate
only the proposed canonical representation. It allows leading zeroes,
for example, and allows zeroes instead of ::.

Also, I just came across something "interesting". RFC 3986 cites RFC 2234.
In the latter, we find
HEXDIG         =  DIGIT / "A" / "B" / "C" / "D" / "E" / "F"
Unfortunately, that means that the URI format (and dependencies such
as SIP) don't allow lower case hex. That is inconsistent with
the current draft. Oops.
Actually no, all quoted strings in ABNF are case-insensitive. So "A" matches both "A" and "a", etc.

[Note to self - this also messes up draft-ietf-sip-ipv6-abnf-fix-04,
of which I'm a co-author.]
[...]

- We will keep the specification on the Standards Track, i.e., publish
it as a Proposed Standard
- This specification Updates RFC 4291

In that case we need to state explicitly that lower case hex is
allowed;

Showing such examples would be fine, but see above.

4291 only shows upper case examples.