Hi Bob

There's two things this document asks for.

(1) for people to document IPv6 address in the recommended way.
(2) implementations to display(or save to text/log) IPv6 addresses in the
recommended way.

(1) can never become a MUST. (2), yes but not so that
new implementations and old implementations will not work together.
So I was thinking tightening the wording of Section 4,5,6
and saying, "implementations following this specification MUST display
them as such, and also it is advised that humas also try to document
addresses as such" may work.

Or, a few days ago when I was reading IESG's review
I was thinking this document should go back to Informational for now.
There are no guidelines out there today and this problem
needs immediate attention.

>> I was thinking that we should have a strict canonical form
>> along the line of what is proposed in Section 8.  This format
>> SHOULD always be used when an IPv6 address is saved to a file
>> or log as text (as opposed to binary).  The canonical format
>> would not support any of the embedded formats.  Everything
>> would look like:

I can agree to this, except for the doing away with dot decimal part.
IMHO doing away with dot decimal will make life harder for most people.
Log files and text files are what get passed around when troubleshooting.

Regards,
Seiichi