On Apr 20, 2010, at 09:56, Rémi Després wrote:
> Using the experimental status seems to me confusing (and why two numbers
> instead of one?)

There are two numbers reserved for protocols, and I was plagued by the
hobgoblins of consistency.  I suppose we could assign only one.  Or more than
two.  It's a discussion point.

> If the draft becomes a standard-track RFC, as originally proposed but so far
> insufficiently supported, we will have all what is needed, simply an cleanly.

Okay... how do you propose that IPv6 nodes and/or packet analyzers
programmatically distinguish between extension headers and upper-layer
transports if they are given only an unrecognized protocol number without
access to the online IANA assigned protocol numbers database?

I think if you pull on the threads of that question, you will quickly come to a
snarly knot of related problems that are A) difficult, and B) probably not
worth solving if you bypass them with a simple update to RFC 3692 as I just
proposed.

-----

To reiterate, I think the original motive for bringing this up, extracting
5-tuples from IPv6 packets, is a bad idea.  In general, only some IPv6 packets
have 5-tuples, and of those, only a subset can have 5-tuples that packet
analyzers can extract, i.e. the rest are encapsulated in ESP or a moral
equivalent (and ESP packets have 4-tuples).

Hosts should set flow labels.  They should probably use RFC 2205 if they need
fine-grained resource reservations to claw out marginal capacity in
under-provisioned networks.  Otherwise, they should ride the best-effort bus
like everyone else.

--
james woodyatt <j...@apple.com>
member of technical staff, communications engineering