On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:08:34 +0200, Rémi Després <remi.desp...@free.fr>
wrote:

> Le 21 avr. 2010 à 23:17, Brian E Carpenter a écrit :
>
>> On 2010-04-21 20:50, Rémi Després wrote:
>>> Hi Brian,
>>>
>>> I wonder what you think of what I answered to James on another
>>> discussion thread.
>>
>> I agree. I think that particular SHOULD in the RFC is an error. It
>> "SHOULD"
>> have said something like:
>>
>> "The source node MUST select new Flow Label values by a method that
>> prevents unintended Flow Label value reuse."
>
> Yes, that's more appropriate.
>
> Suggesting in addition that a 5-tuple hash can be an easy way to set
> flow-label values, because it is stateless, would IMHO improve chances
that
> host really set them.
> Wold you agree on this too?

My reading of "The source node MUST select new Flow Label values by a
method that prevents unintended Flow Label value reuse." would preclude use
of a 5-tuple hash, which could result in coincidental selection of a flow
label value already in-use by another flow.

Do we really want/need to specify a MUST here?  What is wrong with
low-probability, coincidental flow label reuse between flows with different
source/destination address pairs, so long as the values are otherwise
uniformly distributed and unpredictable?

Regards,

// Steve