Le 22 avr. 2010 à 17:31, Shane Amante a écrit :

> Brian, Remi,
>
> On Apr 22, 2010, at 06:50 MDT, Rémi Després wrote:
>> Le 22 avr. 2010 à 04:56, Brian E Carpenter a écrit :
>>
>>> I think we need to simplify the change proposed in
>>> draft-carpenter-6man-flow-update-02 even more after the recent
>>> discussions, while maintaining the proposed duality
>>> (RFC 3697-like
>>> use still possible, but locally-defined use also possible for those who
>>> want it).
>>
>> In my understanding, restoring domain-entrance FL-values at domain exit
>> should be a "MUST" for any domain-specific use:
>
> I'm concerned with Remi's above proposal about restoring FL-values at domain
> exit.
>
> IMHO, instead of restoring FL-values at domain exit, it is /much/ more simple
> to declare that Flow-Label values are _mutable_ when a packet crosses over
> from one administratively defined domain to the next.  I doubt any existing,
> already deployed high-speed network equipment (routers) would support any
> scheme to "restore" domain-specific FL-values from entrance to exit of a
> domain -- although, I haven't conducted a thorough investigation with them;
> rather, I'm basing this on knowledge of the forwarding architecture of
> various, **already deployed** (and, will keep getting deployed) platforms
> whose ASIC's are extremely limited, to say the least.

Would these deployment use domain-specific computations of flow labels?
If yes, have you more information on what they do?
(Any computation of FLs based on 5-tuples in intermediate routers would be well
beyond what an asic can do.)

The main reason I see to restore FLs is that, if a domain replaces a "good" FL
coming from upstream (host generated and 5-tuple based ), by another that isn't
5-tuple based, routers that are further downstream won't be able to use the
"good" FL for their load sharing.

Regards,
RD