On Apr 22, 2010, at 2:40 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> However, consider that the flow label is a forgeable field, not
> protected by any checksum (including IPSEC).

> So maybe mutability is in fact the only way to make it safe to
> use across domain boundaries?

Interesting. I had it in my head that AH protected it.

Mutability, to me, is a good thing. It means that an ISP can use it, as
suggested, to carry a load balancing hash, or an egress identifier. Or for that
matter an ingress identifier for tracing purposes. I'll have to think about the
implications of that.

http://www.ipinc.net/IPv4.GIF