personally, I would prefer to see it *mutable*, and undefined. Given that there
are many host implementations out there, I could imagine difficulties getting
any specific specification (such as a hash) widely deployed in a finite amount
of time. However, if a network could use it to identify an egress or the path
to an egress (or, using multiple values per egress, sets of traffic headed to
an egress) in a scalable fashion, it might allow for load sharing among what
would today be non-sharable MPLS LSPs.