From: ipv6-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:ipv6-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Joel M.
Halpern
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2010 6:29 AM
To: Brian E Carpenter
Cc: 6man
Subject: Re: [Fwd: I-D Action:draft-carpenter-6man-flow-update-03.txt]

The more I think about "encouraging" locally defined use of the flow
label, the less I like it.

The basic problem is that in the context we are discussing, is for use
by routers.
If you have locally defined flow label usage, then
1) Any vendor selling to an operator has to somehow manage to support
their locally defined behavior.
2) Operators MUST configure all their routers to properly understand
their flow label meaning.
2') Given that it can not be counted on, even the global interpretation
such as the use of non-zero flow-labels for ECMP/LAG balancing would be
to be off by default, since there would be no default expect ability to
match that use.
3) This is quite fragile.  Given that there is no indication in the
packet of what meaning of flow-label was intended, there is nothing that
will alert an operator if (as seems periodically inevitable some of the
routers are attempting to apply a different interpretation than the
operator intends.

Basically, from a vendor's perspective, a multiplicity of local
interpretations of flow label is a serious impediment to implementing
any usage of flow label at all.

One could argue that as long as the routers are all from one vendor,
they will support the same local interpretation.  I hope we are not
going there!

Hence, to be clear and specific, I support approach 1, and oppose
approach 2.

Yours,
Joel