Sorry for the (very) late response, finally remembered to reply.

On Fri, 7 May 2010 16:03:25 -0500
"George, Wes E IV [NTK]" <wesley.e.geo...@sprint.com> wrote:

> [...]

Does there have to be a single use, or more specifically, a single
specific use?

It seems to me that one of the reason why there have be quite a variety
of proposals on it's use are that it has some attractive properties
that no other header fields or extension headers have i.e.

- it's always in the IPv6 header, rather than optional like extension
  headers

- all IPv6 implementations in at least the past 10 years support it

- it is a constant and fixed size, avoiding the complexity and
  performance impact of dealing with a variable length field

- it's mutable by the network

- being 20 bits in size, it can be used to encode a million values

Once concern I have about changing the above properties to suit the the
ECMP traffic load balancing use case is that I think ECMP is a fairly
niche use. It seems to me that only the largest of networks need to use
ECMP because individual link speeds such as 40Gbps aren't large enough
for them. All other networks running IPv6 won't gain any benefit from
this use case, yet they're always paying the price of the flow field
because it is in each IPv6 packet. I think with standardisation of
100Gbps link speeds, and talk of 1Tbps link speeds in the relatively
near future, ECMP traffic load balancing usefulness for the largest
of networks will also be reduced. I think making the flow field more
widely useful than this specific case would be better.

Regards,
Mark.

>[as an aside, blake-nonce is now expired and doesn't appear to have
much in the way of support that I could find]