This is not a problem to concern at all. Any vendor would support any useful
features. That's the philosophy how the industry improves itself. The
discussion should be whether the support for locally defined behavior is
useful for operators.

> 2) Operators MUST configure all their routers to properly
> understand their flow label meaning.

I am not agree on "MUST". There are two levels of it. On operator level, the
locally defined behavior is optional. On the routers level, only routers
that want to distinguish the packet according to locally defined flow label
need to understand the flow label meaning; other routers can ignore flow
label and do simple forwarding like before.

> 2') Given that it can not be counted on, even the global
> interpretation such as the use of non-zero flow-labels for
> ECMP/LAG balancing would be to be off by default, since there
> would be no default expect ability to match that use.

Agree, the collision may happen. One of the possible approach is that FL
domain could be hierarchical. Global FL domain can enforce certain behaviors
that would be default for all FL domain (I guess this would be IETF
standards). A sub FL domain needs to inherit behaviors from its parents FL
domain as default. In flat level, B FL domain does not have to understand A
FL domain and its egress routers may overwrite flow label from A.

> 3) This is quite fragile.  Given that there is no indication
> in the packet of what meaning of flow-label was intended,
> there is nothing that will alert an operator if (as seems
> periodically inevitable some of the routers are attempting to
> apply a different interpretation than the operator intends.

Except for global FL domain, all FL domains are under control of operators.
So are all routers. The egress routers of FL domains can overwrite flow
labels. So operators can overwrite all flow label with different
interpretations.

> Basically, from a vendor's perspective, a multiplicity of
> local interpretations of flow label is a serious impediment
> to implementing any usage of flow label at all.

A simple rule can be applied: handle what routers can understand and ignore
others.

> One could argue that as long as the routers are all from one
> vendor, they will support the same local interpretation.  I
> hope we are not going there!

There is nothing to do with single vendor. Vendors only provide the ability
to enable operator to use/define flow label. Interoperation between
different vendor is the reason we make standards here. Otherwise, private
implementation from vendor can support almost everything.

As one of the author, I personally prefer approach 2 since it encourage
operators to use flow label. It enable operator to define the meaning or
usage of flow label in their network scope as almost whatever they want.

Best regards,

Sheng