Hi Vishwas,

On May 31, 2010, at 11:14 AM, Vishwas Manral wrote:

RFC2460 said:

 If, while processing a received packet, a node encounters a Routing
 header with an unrecognized Routing Type value, the required
 behavior of the node depends on the value of the Segments Left field,
 as follows:

  -   If Segments Left is non-zero, the node must discard the packet
     and send an ICMP Parameter Problem, Code 0, message to the
     packet's Source Address, pointing to the unrecognized Routing
     Type.

This means that packets will be dropped when a new header is encountered.

This should be OK for our intended usage of RH4 since it is constrained to a RPL routing domain. The current RPL specification requires all RPL routers to implement the source routing mechanism we are trying to specify.

Also in your particular case we are adding the header mid-way the
reply should be probably sent to the RPL Border node as it added the
header. We may want to add that field into the RH4 header too.

Yes, we realized this after submitting the draft. One way is simply to include the inserting nodes' address as Address[0] and set Segments Left to n-1. Doing so will make the inserting node a part of the "record route" functionality given by the first "Segments Left" entries in a RH4. Do you think that is sufficient?

Thanks.

--
Jonathan Hui

Thanks,