-----Original Message-----
From: ipv6-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:ipv6-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Tina
TSOU
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 11:57 AM
To: Aleksi Suhonen
Cc: ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Flow Label: 12 bits mutable and 8 bits immutable

On Jul 28, 2010, at 5:01 PM, Aleksi Suhonen wrote:

> Some earlier discussion has suggested that if the label is "0", then
> it's mutable and otherwise it's immutable.
It's also fine, if people could agree on it. I'm fine with both
proposals, as long as both mutable and immutable are possible.
> And if an operator does change it, they should reset it on egress,
> and maybe hijack some other bit in the header (e.g. from DSCP?) to
> signal that the flow label has been fiddled with. This bit should of
> course also be reset at the same time as the label is reset.

[[WEG]] I refer you to Bert Manfredi's message
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg12042.html. The lack of a
checksum is why I'm generally resistant to the idea of preserving immutability
of this field in all or in part - while the RFC says it must be, in practical
application, a single bit error ruins that assumption. There's no way to be
sure that it's immutable within an AS, let alone across multiple ASes, so any
implementation that relies on the intermediate networks not touching it (or
worse, an implementation that "fiddles" with it and then somehow resets it to
the original value on egress) is doomed to failure.

Wes George

This e-mail may contain Sprint Nextel Company proprietary information intended
for the sole use of the recipient(s). Any use by others is prohibited. If you
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies
of the message.