Hi Aleksi:

I think that the premise in the discussion was that the network egress
is incapable of restoring zero.

This taken into account we observe that:

- there is a clear and documented need for the network to tag the
packet. This happens for load balancing reasons, but also for routing
reasons, when multiple topologies can be used (eg multihoming, RPL
etc...)
- 12 mutable bits is seen as enough. We had a proposed usage in RPL that
needed just that as well. RPL ended up with the Hop by Hop mainly
because the use of flow label was too largely undefined to feel safe
using it, with the side effects that you know of, like IP in IP.

- flow label is the only field that an application can use to place an
abstract tag in the packet in order to dialog with the network. Removing
that capability seems really short sighted.
- 8 bits have been enough for a considerable amount of functionality in
the past. For the one I have in mind - application aware tagging, it is
enough.

What can I say? We are asked to choose between 2 evils when a simple
trade off exists...

Pascal

Of