Hi Wes,

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:55:44 -0500
"George, Wes E IV [NTK]" <wesley.e.geo...@sprint.com> wrote:

> [...]

That's why I think it could be termed a "best effort field".

Links or routers that are corrupting packets within your network/AS are
generally recognised fairly quickly and fixed fairly quickly, because
packet corruption is unlikely to be limited to just the flow label
field - it'll be impacting payloads, address fields etc. as well.

So it seems to me, that within an network/AS, where traffic
transport quality is usually better controlled, it could have 'best
effort' acceptable uses. If best effort isn't good enough for specific
applications, then you wouldn't use it. In those applications it may
still be useful as a 'hint' or other use field. As an example, within
your network/AS, you might use the flow field to hold a checksum,
instead of carrying it in the payload. There may be a variety of
applications where the quality of the local network/AS goes some way to
making up for it's lack of end-to-end immutability and protection, such
that the risks of using it don't outweigh the benefits gained.

Thinking about the term "end-to-end" a bit further, the
unstated assumption and context is "end-to-end (across the Internet)".
That's the correct thing to protect against, because it is also the
worst case, with the most risks. However, if the scope of
"end-to-end" is reduced, e.g. "end-to-end (across a single network/AS)",
the protections may not need to be as strict, allowing for other
acceptable uses of this field.

Regards,
Mark.