Hi Brian:

I think this went unanswered, sorry about that.

RPL voted not to use the flow label because we were afraid we could "shoot
ourselves in the foot" by using a method that could become invalid. Instead,
the group elected to go to the RPL option in a Hop by Hop header as was
presented to 6MAN. This resolution causes RPL border routers to insert
additional bytes in every packet for 1) the RPL header, and 2) the IP in IP
encaps that comes with it. That really hurts in our constrained environment.

The initial approach (up to draft 7) was to use the flow label as specified in
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-roll-rpl-07#section-7.2 .

As you see, that approach would also leave 12 bits to the network to network
communication, and 8 for the app to network communication, in our case to tag a
routing topology with the so-called instanceID. If we had pursued that path,
we'd probably have had to further specify the 8 bits, in particular to allow
for the case where a source leaves the FL it to 0 and the BR actually sets it,
and to indicate the FL scope, that is which section of the network the FL
setting is supposed to affect (eg source subnet or destination subnet or
global).

Cheers,

Pascal