Pascal,

Thanks for this and your previous message. I would need to think
very carefully whether this proposal would really have been strictly
compatible with RFC 3697 - it actually depends on how the agreement
to use these semantics imposed on the flow label is made (what is
called 'flow state establishment' in the RFC). I see more weaknesses
in 3697 each time I look at it :-(

More below...

On 2010-08-09 22:17, Pascal Thubert (pthubert) wrote:
> Hi Michael:
>
> With http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-roll-rpl-07#section-7.2 I
> tried to stay within the lines of RFC 3697 as you also defend in your
> mail.
>
> I think the question we have now is not whether that proposal is lawful
> but whether the new law being defined at 6MAN would prevent it in the
> future.
> If the updated rules allow, then I'll be glad to work on an FL-based
> alternate to the IPinIP/HbH.

So I understand that ROLL would definitely need the ability to define
explicit semantics on the label. Would it also need the label to be mutable?

> It appeared at the 6MAN WG meeting that 12 bits mutable was exactly what
> the core network was asking for to do its load balancing.
> A first question to the group could be whether 12 mutable bits are
> enough for the sensible usages envisioned so far?

To me it seems that 12 bits could contain enough randomness to drive
a load balancing mechanism, but there's no need for those bits to be
mutable that I can see. On the other hand, 12 bits seems very small for
any kind of nonce or for a flow identification scheme, so it seems
that draft-blake and draft-donley would be knocked out.

   Brian