Hi Pascal,
More comments below.

Le 10 août 2010 à 16:24, Pascal Thubert (pthubert) a écrit :

> Salut Rémi,
>
> Please see below:
>
> Pascal

What is clear, though, is that a hash of 11-12 bits has a higher probability of
collisions than a hash on 20 bits.
If hashes become permitted (which simplifies support of FLs for load
balancing), it is then clear that 20 is better than 12.

>>> A first question to the group could be whether 12 mutable bits are
>>> enough for the sensible usages envisioned so far?
>>
>> I'd rather see the first question as being "Are there some improvements of
>> RFC
>> 3697 that would make it practicable?".
>>
>> If yes, improving this RFC rather than deprecating it after 6+ years of
>> standard-
>> track existence would IMHO be better for IPv6 credibility (and IMHO for that
>> of
>> IETF in general).
>>
>> The two improvements that seem to make sense (see various exchanged mails)
>> are:
>> - permit stateless support (with flow-ID hashes in place of flow-based
>> stateful
>> processing)
>> - permit intermediate nodes to set FLs when source hosts haven't done it
>> (still
>> as shorthands for flow ISs made available in IPv6 first headers).
>>
> [Pascal] We agree here. The point if that there might be enough room for
> both, depending on what we are doing.

> Note that for the latter, the discussion was also that it is not obvious at
> the egress of the network to reset the FL to zero in order to enable the next
> AS to reuse it.

RFC 3697 isn't concerned with ASes, and doesn't need to be.
The proposal is only that, where load balancing is performed, 0 FLs MAY be
replaced by meaningful values for this purpose.
A FL, once set to a non 0 value, never needs to be reset.

> So the conclusion was rather to use the bits is a DSCP fashion.

I am not sure what is meant by used in a DSCP fashion (some DSCP actual uses
seem to me rather complex).

In any case, using FLs ONLY as FLs (essentially RFC 3697, but completed to be
more practicable), is IMHO the most reasonable approach to improve the
situation in a reasonable timeframe.

I understand that 20 unused bits in IP headers is bound to arouse envy, but
adding a new role to FLs, with the original role becoming less efficient rather
than more efficient, is IMHO a wrong approach.

Cheers,
RD