Hi Hemant,

On 10-08-13 02:19 PM, Hemant Singh (shemant) wrote:
During the IETF 78, I met Ashok S. Joshi from Alcatel-Lucent who
appraised me of one key property of the DSL broadband network.  He said,
our cheap DSL devices in the home have about 3-5% of the devices with
duplicate mac-addresses. So what the DSL AN does is create a new
mac-addr per home and then this mac-addr is used to send data from the
AN to the Internet.  If the DSL AN does such a new mac-addr creation,
then our suggested tunnel for the RA back terminates at the AN.  The AN
has enough information to de-multiplex the tunneled RA to the individual
home. I have cced Ashok in this email to keep me honest.
If existing tunneling mechanisms work, why do we need any of the
draft-gundavelli-v6ops-l2-unicast or this document in the IETF?  If DSL
folks really want such existing IPv6 mechanisms specified, one could do
so in the DSL standards bodies.

The mechanism specified in this document requires allocation of a destination option and it can be allocated one only through standards action. So, while the mechanism has been specified in the BBF specs already, the option to be used has not been allocated.

Thanks
Suresh