> >> Serious disconnect between map and reality here, Mark.
> >
> > If you think that, then I don't think you've read my emails
> > properly.
>
> ... or there is a serious disconnect between your reality and my reality.
>
> By saying that L2 devices doing L3 inspection is a layer violation and
> isn't acceptable, you've dismissed the way millions of people are
> connected to the internet as... er, I don't know. Not acceptable and
> wrong.

Maybe we're disagreeing on the meaning of the word "acceptable".

I think most of us can agree that L2 devices doing L3 inspection is a
layer violation.

What a lot of us can *not* agree to is simply dismissing such a feature
*just because it is a layer violation*.

IPv6 in general is purely an added cost for the providers so far - no
fresh revenue expected in the near future. That means we cannot do large
scale changes of our current architecture. As a consequenc of this, we
need largely the same functionality available for IPv6 as we have for
IPv4 - *even if that fucntionality happens to be a layer violation*.

We need IPv6 to be "business as usual" as much as possible. A feature
like L2 devices doing L3 inspection is, as far as I can see, a mostly
software thing: Hardware filter to intercept the traffic and route it
to the CPU, probably hardware rate limiting, software doing the actual
inspection. Thus is should be possible to a similar thing for IPv6.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sth...@nethelp.no