On Sep 12, 2010, at 4:01 AM, Mark Smith wrote:

> What I said was, and I'll highlight the key word,
>
> "Layer 2 devices inspecting traffic isn't *architecturally* acceptable
> because it's a layer violation"
>
> The best place to fix IPv6 issues in in IPv6.

well, yes, but...

let me give you one example.

A few years back, in 2002 I believe, Cisco worked out that BCP 38 was pretty
important to a subset of its customers that wanted it to apply to people on the
same subnet. In short, IPv4 customers wanted to be prevented from classes of
attacks that involved spoofing a source address, and having eliminated those
attacks, wanted ISPs to be able to track other attacks to their sources. This
applied to, among others, access ISPs. So we came up with a feature (which we
patented) called IP Source Guard. It snoops DHCP, notes the IPv4 address
allocated to a (MAC address on a) port, and sets the Catalyst 6K port filters
to drop traffic from that port (and MAC Address) that doesn't have that source
address.

The existence of the port filter tells you that network administrators had
already been installing other filters, such as looking at the transport layer
port, for other reasons.

Other companies copied the feature. Per a note earlier in this thread, it is
something that at least one ISP considers essential to making IPv4 deployable
in access networks.

SAVI is working on the same feature for IPv6. The technologies under
consideration include DHCP snooping, SLAAC snooping, and SEND snooping. Note
that the IPv4 feature was never standardized.

I can do that in other ways. I could imagine, for example, every host and
router on a LAN maintaining a set of registered neighbors and only being
willing to talk with neighbors that were registered. That model is under
discussion in 6LowPAN. To do that, I need to change every host implementation
and every router implementation, and I give up something - an attacker still
costs the switched network bandwidth when he sends a message, as it has to be
received. If I allow the layer violation, the host costs itself the bandwidth
on its own port, but the switch would never send it on.

In general, I would agree that the place to fix an issue is in the core
protocol for the issue. But for an operational network, the choice of protocol
is far less important than the characteristics of the solution they are trying
to achieve. Sometimes, holding one's nose and crossing the layer boundaries is
the right choice.