It is.

But the real world tells us that various MTUs over various paths is
problematic. In particular it creates states in the hosts which can be subject
to attacks. Middle box happen to defeat PMTUD. Encapsulation for insertion will
probably hit the router performance unless there's special silicon for that
operation, which current routers obviously do not have. Etc...

Pascal