Hello,
        At the UNH-IOL we recently received a router implementation that
discards a packet when it receives a packet with a hop limit of zero.  Based on
the following quote from RFC 2460, "The packet is discarded if Hop Limit is
decremented to zero."  If router is the end-node it should still process the
the packet, as the hop-limit isn't decremented until the packet is forwarded.

        According to RFC 4443 Section 3.3 "If a router receives a packet with a
Hop Limit of zero, or if a router decrements a packet's Hop Limit to zero, it
MUST discard the packet and originate an ICMPv6 Time Exceeded message with Code
the source of the packet."   The UNH-IOL had interpreted router to be a device
that is forwarding a packet, therefore the packet should still be processed
when it's the end receiver.  The implementation viewed this quote as stating
that a router should discard the packet regardless of being the end receiver.

        So I would like to ask the working group should a router always discard
a packet with a hop limit of zero even when it's the end receiver of the packet?

Regards,
Tim