Hi, Thomas,

>> At the UNH-IOL we recently received a router implementation that
>>          discards a packet when it receives a packet with a hop
>>          limit of zero.  Based on the following quote from RFC 2460,
>>          "The packet is discarded if Hop Limit is decremented to
>>          zero."  If router is the end-node it should still process
>>          the the packet, as the hop-limit isn't decremented until
>>          the packet is forwarded.
>
> That is the intended behavior. You only discard a packet if you
> decrement the TTL and it reaches zero.

This is could lead to trouble. Following this reasoning, if a router
receives a packet with a Hop Limit of 0, and it needs to forward the
packet, it would first decrement the Hop Limit (possibly wrapping down
up to 255), and then forward the packet.

Those protocols that are meant to operate on a local link set the Hop
Limit to 1, not to 0.

So... is there any legitimate reason to honor incoming (i.e., not
discard) packets with a Hop Limit of 0??

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: ferna...@gont.com.ar || fg...@acm.org