On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 14:29, Thomas Narten <nar...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> The document currently says:
>
>   Routers MUST support the assignment of /127 prefixes on point-to-
>   point inter-router links.
>
> I fully support this.
>
> However, I believe that as far as routing is concerned, IPv6 continues
> to be based on CIDR. There is nothing special about the  64 boundary
> from a routing perspective. This, I believe the above should be
> changed to the following:
>
>   Routers MUST support the assignment of arbitrary length prefixes
>   (including but not limited to /127s) on point-to-point inter-router
>   links.
>
> I do not see any reason to restrict implementations to only supporting
> /127s prefixes.
>
> Thoughts? In particular, I'd like to hear from operators as to whether
> they want the functionality of being able to assign subnets of
> arbitrary length, or whether it would be sufficient to only support /127s.

I'd like to hear from a router vendor on the impact of this on TCAM
design. I'm under the (possibly mistaken) impression that frequently
only the first 64 bits are allocated space in the TCAM. If you need to
route on all 128 bits in hardware, it could halve the number of routes
you can carry.

This has probably already been addressed, but I couldn't find it in
the archives.

-Ben