On 11/ 7/10 11:29 AM, Thomas Narten wrote:
Note: I am quite aware that stateless addr autoconfiguration uses
64-bit Interface Identifiers (IIDs) and that the addressing
architecture says that addresses need to be formed using IIDs. However
these requirements relate to the formation of addresses. I am aware of
no architectural requirement (or justification) that says routing
should only be done on the first 64 bits of an address, regardless of
how an address was formed.

FWIW.

While some implementations of RFC 4861/62 might make assumptions about /64 being magic, there isn't anything in those RFCs that specify that it is magic. RFC 4862 merely says that the sum of the length of the link prefix and the interface identifier needs to be 128.

The IPv6-over-foo documents tend to say that the IID is 64 bits, and we have the text in RFC4291. But stateless addr autoconf is actually more general than that.

   Erik