Joel,

I did not intend to propose that domain-ingress remarking should be mandatory.

If the receiving domain does not critically depend on the received flow label
values to be very smoothly distributed, then it has no need for remarking at
all.

My point is simply just that IF there is a specific requirement on the
distribution of the flow label values, the domain must either provide such
distribution itself, or trust someone else to have done that already. Maybe
this is self-evident, and need not be mentioned in a protocol spec?

It would be way simpler to allow marking only once (from a non-zero value),
with a "pseudo-random" recommendation, and then have the rest of the path just
live with whatever value was set. I would be happy with such a text.

However, I'm also OK with text that allows "reasonable" (== consistent)
remarking. But that should not be mandated on anyone.

  Jarno