I'm not an RSVP expert, but I wonder if the wording at issue comes
from the notion that (in some cases) the receiver is the one that
actually initates flow setup (in the reverse direction) and wants to
tell the routers what Flow Labels the source is using. The source is
labeling the packets, but is not actually involved in doing the Flow
Setup (and indeed, may not even know it is in use).

I think it is OK to drop the words.

Thomas