Chris,

I think we may want to be a little careful here.  At a minimum, maybe take a
deep breath and think about this some, before making a final decision.  :-)
See below.

On Feb 3, 2011, at 20:17 MST, Christopher Morrow wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 10:11 PM, Joel M. Halpern <j...@joelhalpern.com> wrote:
>> Lets be a little careful here:
>> 1) If we say "No Extension Headers for intermediate processing", and "No Hop
>> By Hop Options", then we are saying that we do not want any extensions
>> intended to be processed in intermediate routers.  While I personally like
>> that, I want to make really sure that we understand that is what we are
>> saying.
>
> My feeling is this:
> hop-by-hop processing will happen in slow-path (if you permit it to
> happen at all), you can't build a router today with an asic that'll
> know how to handle options which are created in the future :(

Agreed.

> This means that the gear in the network is subject to failure at
> relatively low packet rates (as compared to interface rates), it also
> means that the failure is likely not just at the interface level (the
> RP/RE/PRP/etc will be doing this processing), much of this box will
> fail.
>
> This is an unacceptable outcome.

I agree that's an unacceptable outcome; however, we have come up with solutions
for this in the past.  Namely, implement 'proper' rate-limiting at the
linecards, in order to prevent overwhelming the RE/RP/PRP, etc. (think: ICMP
rate-limiting).  Of course, the key constraint this would place on any
"applications" that attempt to use HbH options would be that it couldn't carry
any user data traffic at any meaningful bit-rate as it WILL, most definitely,
get dropped.  OTOH, if we're talking about periodic/sporadic OAM protocols that
are only used on a best-effort basis, (probably by operators, not end-users),
then this "limitation" may be acceptable.

>> 2) I have been told that many large rotuers have a setting that causes them
>> to ignore the hop by hop options field.  To the degree that is both true and
>> turned on, then we need to allow for that in our think (both positive and
>> negative.)
>
> I've mostly seen the 'throw the packet away' option... I agree that if
> I can ignore these in all of my routers I don't care what  you do with
> them before you see my router or after I pass this off to my friendly
> neighbor router. This means that if you expect all intermediate
> networks to do "something" for you with this option, you will not get
> it, your application and other things should never rely upon this
> being functional.

That's certainly another approach.

> if we get to that then... why are we making these exist anyways?

Actually, that latter part is probably the best question.  It would probably be
a useful thought exercise to revisit why they were originally created (anybody
got pointers to source material?), whether those applications still hold water
in today's world and/or if there are new, _practical_ (i.e.: could really get
deployed) uses for them.

Of course, there's always the argument that folks may want to use HbH headers
in a private network (Enterprise network?) context, but "good luck" on getting
them to be recognized or acted upon (at all) by SP routers.  However, it seems
like too much work to document even that in a BCP as the boilerplate would
likely overwhelm the actual content of said draft/RFC.  (Or, at least I'm not
volunteering to do so :)

-shane