On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 08:40:40 +1300
Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any router that forwards fe80::/10 would be pretty stupid I think,
> since the whole prefix is IANA-reserved. The RFC apears to
> only reserve fe80::/64.
>
> Maybe this should be logged as a "held" erratum for RFC 4291,
> to be made 100% clear if it is updated.

I've been a bit interested in this area fairly recently, in the context
of making things like RA guard a bit easier. If some of those 54 bits
were used to encode a device or function type, then RA guard could
be more simply achieved by filtering on link local source address
types e.g. if bits 11 through 16 in the link local prefix were used to
encode a type, then -

fe80::/16 - end-hosts
fe81::/16 - routers
fe82::/16 - dhcpv6 servers
etc.

This isn't a new idea, IIRC Appletalk used the lower 1-127 node
ids in a cable number for end-nodes, and the upper 128 to 253
for servers.

To see of non-fe80::/64 link locals would work with existing
implementations, I've run up a quick test with a couple of linux boxes,
with one running as a router (radvd, fe81::1/64, autoconf'd fe80::/64
deleted) and the other with a conventional kernel configured fe80::/64
link local address. Everything appears to be working, so it could be
possible to move to a link-local encoded type model without too much
trouble if other implementations handle non-fe80::/64 in the same way
(i.e. apparently as fe80::/10).

Regards,
Mark.