Hi Fred,

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 15:59:06 -0800
Fred Baker <f...@cisco.com> wrote:

> Dumb question. Is there an attack in your proposal? For example, if I were to
> mis-identify my RA as coming from an end-host, could I now bypass RA-Guard?

I'm not sure I fully understand your question, although I think you're
asking if end-nodes would also have to enforce this source
address/device function policy. That would be the case. My thoughts
around this area have mainly been related to the sort of effort layer 2
devices have to go to to inspect existing format RAs - encoding device
type/function in the source link local IPv6 address would seem to me
to be simpler, as the permit/deny decision it would be an exact match
on the first 10 bits of the source IPv6 address, almost directly after
the link-layer destination address in the frame, and that avoids these
layer 2 devices having to have knowledge of e.g. ICMPv6 formats, (maybe)
possibilities of extension headers etc. Possibly some devices which
can't implement RA guard as it is today might be able to perform a
simpler link-local source address based version.

My interest in compatibility with existing link-local implementations
where RAs come from a non-fe80::/64 source was about how to easy a
transition to this sort of addressing model would be during an interim
period.

I haven't fully thought through my idea, including whether the cost of
this sort of change would be worth benefit, I mentioned it mainly
because it was relevant to the fe80::/10 vs fe80::/64 discussion.
Possibly there may be other benefits in encoding a device or function
type in a link-local address even if a simpler RA guard is not one of
them.

Regards,
Mark.