I would observe that we have multiple documents which note the importance of traceability for "problem" resolution. Treating privacy as an all-or-nothing thing is probably a misleading perspective. It is extremely likely that privacy addresses, and their bindings to homes or office desktops, will be logged. I would hope that said logs will be handled in a manner that preserves privacy in the normal course of events.

Pretending that such things will not happen strikes me as even sillier than assuming that a malicious host will cooperate with some unenforced flags.

Yours,
Joel

On 3/9/2011 2:17 PM, RJ Atkinson wrote:

On 09  Mar 2011, at 13:49 , Brian E Carpenter wrote:
On 2011-03-10 00:17, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

I don't think it solves what it thinks it solves, but if this REALLY
should be implemented, it's my initial thinking that the H flag should
be a MUST demand to only have ONE and only one MAC-based IPv6 address
according to EUI64. I would appreciate some reasoning in the draft why
this was chosen as a SHOULD option.

For the reason I just gave against the disable-private flag: this
violates the host's right to use an untraceable address.

(Hardware I am familiar with is not sentient.  So I don't know
what it means to talk about the rights of a host, as above ---
I'll assume the meaning is that human users have privacy rights. :-)

It may be that in corporate deployments, that right can be removed.

At least within the US, I am told that multiple courts have ruled
that when an employee is using employer-owned equipment attached
to an employer-owned network, then a reasonable expectation of
privacy does not exist.  My examples and discussion have solely
focused on this "corporate deployment" scenario.

[ASIDE:  I am also told that the courts have ruled differently with
respect to people accessing the Internet from their own home when
using their own equipment.]

[ASIDE: Of course the IETF is global; legal systems vary from one place
to another.  So the above is intended narrowly as a practical example. :-]

But removing it for public subscribers would be a political blunder.

Earlier, I specifically noted that the privacy issue ought to be
discussed in the Security Considerations section of (any) I-D on
this topic, in (2A) and (2B) of this previous list email:

        <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg13489.html>

Cheers !