On Mar 14, 2011, at 05:00 , Markus Hanauska wrote:

> [...] And here is my reply: How is DAD preventing this problem if the device
> with the conflicting address in question is not connected to the network the
> moment DAD is performed? [...]

Were RFC 4429 and I-D.ietf-6man-dad-proxy among the documents you read over the
weekend?

In general, you cannot prevent address conflict simply by reserving interface
identifier patterns according to a strict plan.  No plan ever survives its
initial encounter with the enemy.  Address conflicts MUST be dynamically
resolved by protocol action, and protocols can fail when packets are lost.
Retransmits help reduce failure rates, but failure cannot ever be made
logically impossible.  (There is math for that claim.)

Duplicate Address Detection (DAD) is the mechanism by which address conflicts
are resolved in IPv6.  If you set DupAddrDetectTransmits to zero on an
interface where DAD is required to prevent address conflicts, then the network
isn't required to work properly when you do that.  If the subscriber
aggregation network by which you're connecting a mobile node to the Internet
requires a DAD proxy to prevent address conflicts, and the DAD proxy is
malfunctional, then you can expect damaged network service as a result.  There
is nothing special about RFC 4941 temporary addresses or RFC 3972 cryptographic
addresses in this regard.

Plan accordingly and stay calm.

--
james woodyatt <j...@apple.com>
member of technical staff, core os networking