On Apr 5, 2011, at 17:08 , Thomas Narten wrote:

> What is *required* is that the hash function (or whatever function
> that is used) on the router maps the tuples in a *uniform* way across
> the range of possible outputs.

Then it seems like "Equidistributed Sequence" is the precise term you want.

I too would like to see the case for Low Discrepancy vs. Equidistributed made
more clear.  One of the arguments I suppose could be made for Low Discrepancy
is that it would provide a guarantee that *any* substring of the full 20-bit
flow label could be taken as an input to a function that maps with low
discrepancy to a particular load-sharing element.  Equidistributed does not
provide any such guarantee and requires A) that the domain of the function be
the full label, and B) the function to map an equidistributed domain to a low
discrepancy codomain.  Are those functions any cheaper?  I doubt it.

--
james woodyatt <j...@apple.com>
member of technical staff, core os networking