Hi,

I've been thinking and reading about it. I believe that if this doc will
standardize anything, then it should be linguistically correct.
As a consequence, "hextet" can't be even mentioned for official documents. If
official documents writers want/have to use a word (rather than "bits 33 to
48"), they have to use something correct. In my opinion the IETF can't just
mess with linguistic for the fun of it.

If we split "octet" :
"octo-" + "-et"

So in theory :
"hexadecim-" + "-et" = "hexadecimet"

(the "t" in "hexdectet" comes from "oct-" not from "-et", so it's incorrect as
well)

So my proposal as an individual that has absolutely no authority about the
matter is :

1 : "hexadecimet" [in English : /ˌhɛksəˈdɛsəmɛt/] MUST be used in official
documents.
2 : delete any mention of quibble, hextet, hexadectet, or other variants.

Let's leave it up to people to decide which one they want to use for informal
communication and have this doc standardize only the exact only official naming
for IETF documents.

Guillaume